POTTSTOWN PA – Four new engineering and creative workshops for students of elementary or middle school ages, and a new makerspace workshop for adults, have been planned during October and November. They’re returning “by popular demand,” according to organizers at the Pottstown Area Social Innovations Lab.
All workshops will be led by Dr. Hoda Ehsan, department chair for engineering and computer science at The Hill School engineering department, and director of the lab’s community maker space. The first are scheduled for this Friday and Saturday (Oct. 13 and 14, 2023). The lab is located at the rear of the Espresso Yourself Book Cafe, 249 E. High St.
The adult workshop is being offered for free, but is limited to six participants. Advance registration is required, and available online from the link below. Here are some of its details from the Travels With The Post extended calendar:
- Making Workshop for Adults, Friday (Oct. 13), 1:30-3 p.m., learn how to make customized items such as mugs, totes, stickers, wall arts, and pins.
Two more workshops, each consisting of two hours on three consecutive Saturday mornings, are specifically intended for middle school students. They focus on science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics (STEAM) concepts. A series will be held in both October and November. Advance tickets for either series can be purchased online from the links below:
- Fungineering Saturdays series (Oct. 14, 21, and 28), all days 9:30-11:30 a.m., ticketed, a Halloween-themed STEAM class for middle school students; and
- Fungineering Saturdays series (Nov. 4, 11, and 18), all days 9:30-11:30 a.m., ticketed, a holiday-themed STEAM class for middle school students.
Two other workshops, each consisting of one hour on three consecutive Saturdays, are geared toward elementary school ages. They also focus on STEAM-oriented instruction, with advance tickets available for purchase from the links below:
- Creative Saturdays series (Oct. 14, 21, and 28), all days 11:50 a.m. to 12:50 p.m., ticketed, a Halloween-themed STEAM class for elementary school-age students; and
- Creative Saturdays series (Nov. 4, 11, and 18), all days 11:50 a.m. to 12:50 p.m., ticketed, a holiday-themed STEAM class for elementary school-age students.
For more information about the lab, its maker space, or the workshops, send an e-mail to Ehsan at firstname.lastname@example.org.