POTTSTOWN PA – Friday (Sept. 29, 2023) is National Coffee Day, when a variety of retailers offer free or “nearly-free” servings of one of the world’s favorite beverages. Coffee sellers across Montgomery, Berks, and Chester counties are participating in the event.
What does “nearly-free” mean? Generally, you must be part of the retailers’ rewards or mobile app programs to qualify, or you’ll be asked to buy an additional product to get your low-or-no-cost cuppa joe.
Many independent or small coffee shops may not offer special deals, but they deserve support. Locally they include the Charlotte Street Coffee Company in Pottstown, Brewed Awakening in Royersford, Brakeman’s Cafe in Boyertown, Valerio Coffee Roasters in Trappe, Steel City Coffeehouse and Brewery in Phoenixville, and Speakeasy Coffee Company in Pennsburg.
Here’s where deals are:
- Dunkin’, with locations in Pottstown, North Coventry, Stowe, Limerick, Royersford, Douglassville (2), Zieglerville, Phoenixville, Collegeville (2), and Harleysville. Its rewards members enjoy a free medium hot or iced coffee with accompanying purchase* on the day. Limit one free coffee per member. It excludes espresso beverages, Cold Brew, Nitro Cold Brew, and gift card purchases.
- Duck Donuts, in Collegeville and King of Prussia. “Guests can enjoy a free medium hot coffee or cold brew with any purchase in-store or online.” Those ordering online “can use the code COFFEEDAY23 at checkout to receive the offer.” Delivery is excluded.
- McDonald’s, in Pottstown (2), Royersford, Gilbertsville, Limerick, Douglassville, Phoenixville, Collegeville, and Pennsburg. Use its rewards app to buy any size coffee for 99 cents without any other purchase. The deal works only once daily.
- Sheetz, in Exeter and Morgantown. Pick up any size of a free Nitro or Cold Brew coffee with the purchase of any item through its app from Friday through Sunday (Oct. 1). It can be redeemed by entering the offer code BREW4U on the app Offerz tab.
- Starbucks, in Pottstown, Stowe, Royersford (2), Gilbertsville, Collegeville, and Oaks (some of these are within other stores). The chain does not offer freebies on National Coffee Day, however selected stores are offering free coffee tastings. Call ahead to your favorite store to see if it’s participating in the tastings program.
- Wendy’s Restaurants, in Pottstown (2), Limerick (inside the outlets’ food court), Royersford, Phoenixville, Collegeville, Oaks, and Morgantown. Wendy’s will sell small hot or iced coffees for 99 cents through its app.
National Coffee Day is the American precursor of International Coffee Day. The international version is annually observed on Oct. 1 as an organized attempt “to help struggling coffee farmers worldwide make a living wage,” according to National Today.
More Americans – 63 percent – drink coffee each day more than any other beverage, including water, according to the latest “Atlas of American Coffee,” published earlier this month.