POTTSTOWN PA – Registration is open now for the annual Ride for the River cycling event fund-raiser that benefits Schuylkill River Greenways, scheduled to start and end Sept. 16 (2023; Saturday) at Riverfront Park, College Drive. The organization works with partners to build, improve and promote the Schuylkill River Trail in Berks and Schuylkill counties.
Three ride options are available:
- A 4-Mile Fun Ride for children and beginners. Its round-trip ride begins at 10 a.m. from Riverfront Park in Pottstown to Old Reading Pike on a completely paved section of the Schuylkill River Trail. No on-road sections or crossings are required. Children age 12 and younger ride for free;
- A 16-Mile Ride, with its round-trip ride beginning at 9:30 a.m. from Riverfront Park in Pottstown to Union Township Recreation Area, primarily along the flat, crushed stone Schuylkill River Trail. Some road crossings are required. Up to two children ages 12 and younger participate free with an accompanying adult; and
- A 35-Mile Ride. The round-trip ride starts at 9 a.m. from Riverfront Park in Pottstown to Reading, also mostly along the flat, crushed stone Schuylkill River Trail. It includes some on-road sections.
There is a 4-mile optional hill challenge along the Hopewell Big Woods Trail, which connects to the Schuylkill River Trail in Union Township. The Big Woods Trail consists of a nearly 2-mile gentle upgrade, with stunning views of Monocacy Hill as you near the top. You can rest at the top and enjoy an easy ride down back onto the Schuylkill River Trail. This is a gravel trail which could have some loose areas, so riders should be cautious on the descent.
All ride registrants receive:
- Reserved parking at the Sly Fox Brewery, 331 Circle of Progress Dr., Pottstown – just 3 miles from the ride’s finish location – for its annual free Can Jam Music Festival;
- Beer or beverage and food voucher bundle to use at Can Jam. Additional vouchers must be purchased for children registering for free;
- Water and snacks at rest stops;
- A well-marked route with ride support; and
- Commemorative T-shirts available for purchase.
How Sly Fox plays a role
Schuylkill River Greenways organizes the Ride for the River event in cooperation with the Sly Fox Brewery’s Can Jam Music Festival. The company’s festival is curated to feature rising, regional, independent talent. Its day of amazing music is held in pastures adjoining the brewery, accompanied by what is said to be one of the world’s largest KanJam® tournaments.
The festival also celebrates Sly Fox’s role as an early adopter, evangelist, and promoter of cans as the hottest packaging trend in the craft brewing industry.
The company has partnered with Schuylkill River Greenways during the past four years by producing SRT Ale, an ale that benefits the Schuylkill River Trail. SRT Ale will be available after this year’s bike ride at the festival, and then sold all year long. All cyclists get a free beer ticket.
During the 2021 Ride for the River celebration, Sly Fox presented representatives of the Schuylkill River Greenways National Heritage Area with a check of $6,213 from the sales of this year’s SRT Ale. Sly Fox to date has donated a total of about $40,200 from the sale of SRT Ale.
The Greenways trails team said it remains hard at work, creating new trail miles thanks to funds raised each year in the Ride for the River.