ELVERSON PA – If you can stay up later with your family, and if you have the time and willingness to travel to nearby Elverson, the recommended event of this weekend is the annual StarFest gathering Saturday (Aug. 19, 2023) from 6-11 p.m. at the Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site.
The event is hosted by the ChesMont Astronomical Society and the National Park Service. In years past it has received rave reviews from those who attended. Almost everyone comes away with a greater knowledge of the stars, planets, and everything else above our heads.
Telescopes are available on site, and society members and others make several presentations during the evening. Expect a crowd if you go; the event annually attracts hundreds of visitors.
There’s plenty more to enjoy
If star-gazing isn’t your interest, fear not! The weekend calendar also is covered with more than 40 other events. Some are free, some have fees, and a few may have limitations. Click any link below for more information.
Put the weekend to best use: get out and do something!
Thursday, Aug. 17
- Stories In The Parks, presented by the Perkiomen Valley Library, 10 a.m., Coble Park, 1342 Gravel Pike, Perkiomenville PA
- Archery 101, starts at 10 a.m., French Creek State Park, 843 Park Rd., Elverson PA
- Weekly ‘Scrabble’ Game, starts at 10 a.m., free, Boyertown Community Library, 24 N. Reading Ave., Boyertown PA
- Montgomery County Board of Commissioners Meeting, 10 a.m. to noon, free, County Office Building, 425 Swede St., Norristown PA
- Rain Barrel and Garden Workshop, 6:30 p.m., Black Rock Park, 1286 Black Rock Rd., Phoenixville PA
Friday, Aug. 18
- Makin’ Music with Mr. Mike, 10:30-11:05 a.m., free, Pottstown Regional Public Library, 500 E. High St., Pottstown PA
- “The Magically Amazing Ryan” magic show, 11 a.m. to noon, free to attend, Handel’s of Royersford, 627 Main St., Royersford PA
- 14th Annual Car and Truck Show, 5-10 p.m., free to spectators, sponsored by and held at the Blue Comet Motorcycle Club, 4042 Mensch Rd., Skippack PA
- Vendor Bingo fund-raiser, 6:30-10:30 p.m., ticketed, benefits the Spring City Women’s Library, held at Friendship Ambulance Co., 269 Green St., Royersford PA
Saturday, Aug. 19
- Eastwood Calendar Photo Shoot, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Eastwood Company, 263 Shoemaker Rd., Pottstown PA
- Bubble Event, 9 a.m. to noon, ticketed, Gilbertsville Farm, 1200 County Line Rd., Gilbertsville PA
- Pottstown Farm and Artisan Regional Market (FARM), 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., free to attend, at Smith Family Plaza, 100 E. High St., Pottstown PA
- Butterfly Festival, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., ticketed, Colonial Gardens, 745 Schuylkill Rd., Phoenixville PA
- Tail-Waggin’ Tales with pet therapy dogs, 10 a.m. to noon, Perkiomen Valley Library, 290 2nd St., Schwenksville PA
- Bally Third Annual Car Show, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., free to spectators, Quigley Chevrolet, 326 Main St., Bally PA
- Craft and Vendor Show, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Keystone Steam Fire Engine Co. No. 1, 240 E. Walnut St., Boyertown PA
- Phoenixville Phantoms Marching Band Car Wash fund-raiser, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., parking lot of Stirling Storage, 305 Kimberton Rd., Phoenixville PA
- Philadelphia Oddities & Curiosities Expo, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., ticketed, Greater Philadelphia Expo Center, 100 Station Ave., Oaks PA
- Meet The Dogs, 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., hosted by and held at Logan’s Heroes Animal Rescue Inc., 9411 King’s Highway, East Greenville PA
- Old Fashioned Baseball Games, one at 11 a.m. and a second at 1 p.m. featuring the Brandywine and Liberty baseball clubs, at the Heckler Plains Farmstead, 437 Landis Rd., Harleysville PA
- “Historic Cooking and Collections Curiosities,” 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., free, for Open House Days at Pottsgrove Manor, 100 W. King St., Pottstown PA
- Program: “Incredible Insects,” 1-3 p.m., free but call 610-287-6970 to register, Green Lane Park, Hemlock Point Office Building, 1494 Gravel Pike, Green Lane PA
- “Seussical the Musical” relaxed performance, 2 p.m., ticketed, Steel River Playhouse, 245 E. High St., Pottstown PA
- The Superhero Express, 2:30-3:30 p.m., ticketed, hosted by and at the Colebrookdale Railroad from its station at 64 S. Washington St., Boyertown PA
- 40th Annual Peach Festival, 3-8 p.m., hosted by St. Paul’s United Church of Christ, 1979 Weavertown Rd., Douglassville PA
- Concert: “Porch Performance” of the Montgomery County Concert Band, 4-6 p.m., free, at Pennypacker Mills, 5 Haldeman Rd., Schwenksville PA
- Steel River Playhouse Fund-Raiser, 4-6 p.m., The Alley on High Street, 228 E. High St., Pottstown PA
- Rhythm and Brews, starts at 6 p.m., free to roam along Bridge Street in downtown Phoenixville PA, sponsored by its Chamber of Commerce
- “Seussical the Musical,” 7 p.m., ticketed, Steel River Playhouse, 245 E. High St., Pottstown PA
- Movie: “The Karate Kid,” for Movies Under The Stars Night, starts at 7:30 p.m., Green Lane Park Amphitheater, 2298 Green Lane Rd., Green Lane PA
- StarFest 2023, 6-11 p.m., free, hosted by the ChesMont Astronomical Society at Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site, 2 Mark Bird Ln., Elverson PA
Sunday, Aug. 20
- Fresh Meat Orientation for Rockstar Roller Derby, 10 a.m. to noon, free and no equipment required, at Ringing Rocks Roller Rink, 1500 Ringing Rocks Park, Pottstown PA
- Rescued Pets Meet and Greet featuring Mostly Mutz, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., free to attend, at Barn Fresh Vintage Market, 311 County Line Rd., Gilbertsville PA
- Walk-Around Wildlife Tour, 1-2 p.m., free, at Upper Schuylkill Valley Park, 1615 Black Rock Rd., Royersford PA
- Sunday Star Shows at the Neag Planetarium, hourly from 1-6 p.m., tickets available at the door, Reading Public Museum, 500 Museum Rd., Reading PA
- “Seussical the Musical,” 2 p.m., ticketed, Steel River Playhouse, 245 E. High St., Pottstown PA
- Sundae Sundays Excursion, 2:30-4:30 p.m., ticketed, hosted by and at the Colebrookdale Railroad from its station at 64 S. Washington St., Boyertown PA
- Spiderman and Ghost Spider characters meet and greet, 3-5 p.m., free, Handel’s of Royersford, 627 Main St., Royersford PA
- August Pay It Forward Cafe, 4-5:30 p.m., free community meal, reservations requested at https://givebutter.com/PIFCAug23, Ann’s HEART of Phoenixville, 35 Hall St., Phoenixville PA
- “We May Be Right” free concert, 6-8 p.m., Green Lane Park Amphitheater, 2298 Green Lane Rd., Green Lane PA
The above events are curated from a variety of sources, including public submissions. Got a weekend (Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and federal holiday Mondays) event you’d like us to add? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Want other events on later dates (currently through December 2023)? See the The Travels With The Post extended calendar page.
2022 photo provided by the National Park Service